For quite a while now, I’ve needed to find a release for these thoughts welling up in my soul, and so tonight I make my
DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE
- Being a meek soul who never, until recently, took a risk to try anything new, in the words of my dear friend Brian White, I declare my right to dare to suck. I declare my right to try something new every day, something I love, something I’ve always wanted to do but was too afraid to try due to my fear.
- Tonight I declare my right as an individual to speak truth, to search for honesty, to say what I mean, but to say it in a way that is gentle and kind without coming across as blunt or insensitive.
- I declare my right to be myself, to love what I love, to love whom I love, and to be loved.
- I declare my right to make my own mistakes without someone else stepping into my life to control me so that I can’t learn how to make my own choices. I want to learn to make good choices even if I have to first pay the consequences of bad choices.
- I declare my right to open myself up to you, to believe you when you say that you will listen and that you will be my friend, even as you volunteer to hear the same story dozens of times. Remember I am learning. It takes time for me to process the lesson that will eventually sink into my own heart and mind and soul.
- I also declare my right to close the gate to my inner me if you betray me. Cordial we shall be but close nevermore. That ship will have sailed.
- I declare my right to maintain my vulnerable, childlike soul. I declare my right to believe you when you say I can tell you anything, and I trust you to maintain confidentiality when you give me your word.
- I have the right to walk away from you if you say one thing to my face and say another thing behind my back.
- I declare my right to sing, good or bad, as I make my joyful noise.
- I declare my right to find the good in all souls but to protect myself from the bad that hides itself in those dark areas.
- I declare my right to be a writer, even if I am not published.
- I declare my right to be a musician, even if I can’t play all the notes.
- I declare my ability to communicate with animals because they speak a language of love.
- I declare myself to be your friend who will never betray you.
- I declare myself the right to make mistakes, and I don’t need you to point them out.
- I declare my right to seek God without outside interference.
- I declare my right to fight for the underdog, even if I am the underdog.
- I declare the right to call you on your lies and to turn away when you won’t take responsibility for them. I refuse to accept your negativity or blame.
- I declare the right to turn away from violence.
- I declare my right to take the high road, a lesson I learned through a song written by one of those souls who is a gift from God and a rare treasure.