I have ten reasons why I cannot post a Valentine’s Blog today.
1. I had planned to ask Cupid to guest blog, but he was busy.
2. I’ve been writing songs lately. But you’d think people would have had enough of silly love songs.
3. At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet. See #2. This blog is all about the prose, baby.
4. Pearl Bailey says what the world needs is more love and less paper work. Does that also include electronic paper like the Kindle or the laptop?
5. Anais Nin says the role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say.
(Talk to Anais Nin about #6.)
7. Saul Bellow said, “You never have to change anything you got up in the middle of the night to write.” I should have gotten out of bed.
8. The road to hell is paved with adverbs, so sayeth Stephen King. That’s not really a reason, but I think Stephen King is pretty funny.
9. Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn’t the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment, so sayeth Robert Benchley.
10. According to an old Arabian proverb, a promise is a cloud; fulfillment is rain. I have a deadline hanging over my head, a story to write. My editor deserves a downpour.
Happy Valentine’s Day!